Hurricane season is upon us here in North Carolina, and as your local traffic attorneys in Greenville, NC, we want to make sure you stay safe out there on the roads. Here is some important safety information to help you out:
Driving in the rain is one of the most dangerous times to get out on the road. If you can manage it, stay at home and wait until the storm passes. If you’ve got somewhere you have to go and you can’t wait to leave, be sure to follow these safety measures to help make sure you get where you need to go, safe and sound:
- One of the most important steps you can take to keep you and your car safe is to perform routine maintenance. Have your car checked out regularly to make sure key parts such as your brakes, windshield wipers, and tires are in working order.
- When you’re driving in the rain, it’s best to drive below the speed limit, because it takes your car longer to come to a stop in the rain.
- Be sure to turn on your headlights, both to improve your visibility and to make it easier for other drivers on the road to see you.
- If you notice areas of standing water on the road, drive around them if you can to avoid hydroplaning. If you must drive through the water, let off the gas and avoid using your brakes in these areas. If your car starts to spin, turn your steering wheel in the same direction as your car and don’t try to jerk your car in the opposite direction.
- If there are cars in front of you on the road, give yourself more distance than usual to allow for extra brake time.
- Don’t use your cruise control when you’re driving in the rain as it’s easier to lose control of your vehicle in these conditions.
- Stay focused! This is important every time you get into the car, but it’s especially important when you’re driving in the rain. Keep your eyes focused on the road and away from distractions.
If you’re in need of legal representation for a traffic violation in Greenville, NC, give us a call at Craft Law Offices, or visit our Facebook page to contact us!