Select Page

The bankruptcy attorneys at Craft Law Offices are here to help you navigate the bankruptcy process. We can offer you legal guidance every step of the way, including what documents you need to gather before you file. 

When filing for bankruptcy, you need your tax returns from the past 2 years. Tax returns are used for a number of things, so it’s a good idea to hold onto them for a while. As a rule of thumb, you should keep a tax return for three years before discarding it (and be sure to shred it when you do).

Luckily, if you lose a tax return, there are a number of ways that you can get another one. Your first point of contact should be your tax preparer. They more than likely have access to your previous tax return(s) they have prepared for you, and they will typically the quickest way to retrieve your lost tax return.

If your tax preparer no longer has a record of your tax return, or you prepared your taxes yourself, there are still some ways that you can get another copy. You can contact the IRS directly to get a copy of your tax returns. They have various options available including a return online and by mail. You can also request that the IRS send your tax return directly to the party that needs it (like the bank, etc.).

For more information about recovering lost tax returns, visit

For bankruptcy attorneys who can help you every step of the way, give us a call at Craft Law Offices in Greenville, NC.