At Craft Law, we can help you with traffic violations as well as dealing with filing bankruptcy and underage drinking citations. Our goal at Craft Law is to help our clients resolve these issues with the best possible results in the most stress-free way possible. When it comes to North Carolina traffic laws, it’s important to understand what’s expected of you when you drive and what the consequences are if you break traffic laws.
Texting and driving is a relatively new law in North Carolina, but one that is violated quite often. Defined as the “unlawful use of mobile telephone for text messaging or electronic mail,” this law has consequences that many drivers are unaware of. This NC law states that it’s unlawful for any driver on a public street, highway, or vehicular area to use a mobile phone to:
- Manually enter multiple letters or text in the device as a means of communicating with another person, or
- Read any electronic mail or text message transmitted to the device or stored within the device, prohibited that this prohibition shall not apply to any name or number stored in the device nor to any caller identification information.
This law does not apply to:
- The operator of a vehicle that is lawfully parked or stopped,
- Any of the following while in the performance of their official duties: law enforcement officers, members of a fire department, or operators of a public or private ambulance,
- The use of factory-installed or aftermarket GPS or wireless communications devices used to transmit or receive data as part of a digital dispatch system,
- The use of voice operated technology.
The penalty of this law is a fine of $100 and the costs of court. No drivers license points or insurance surcharge will result from a violation of this law. Be smart, and don’t text and drive – for your safety and for the safety of others. (And to avoid a fine!)
Should you violate this law, be aware of the consequences. With offices located in Rocky Mount, Greenville, and Morehead City, North Carolina, Craft Law wants to help. Contact us today!