As bankruptcy attorneys, we know that the times we are facing now are stressful for a number of reasons. On top of worrying about your health and safety, the last thing that you want to worry about is your financial security. Unfortunately, scammers are taking advantage of people just as much now as ever, and we want you to be safe. So, here are some tips to help you avoid any COVID-19 tax relief scams:
- Many people are starting to receive tax relief checks from the IRS for COVID-19. If you have received direct deposit from the IRS for your taxes in previous years, this is how you will receive your tax relief money. If not, you will receive a paper check in the mail.
- No one will contact you asking you for your personal information in regards to COVID-19 tax relief money. If you receive an email, letter, or phone call that asks you for any personal information, this is a scammer.
- If you receive any requests to contribute to COVID fundraisers, be sure to verify that it is an actual fundraiser run by a credible establishment and not a scam.
- If you receive any information about a possible vaccine or cure for COVID-19, and it asks for any of your personal information or for money, this is a scam.
- In general, always be careful when providing any personal information online.
For legal advice regarding your finances, call the bankruptcy attorneys at Craft Law Offices in Greenville, NC.