Bankruptcy doesn’t have to be a dirty word! If you find yourself owing debtors more than you can afford and you want to learn more about bankruptcy, contact the bankruptcy attorneys at Craft Law Offices in Greenville, Morehead City, or Rocky Mount, North Carolina. We can sit down with you and discuss your best options for moving forward. Many people decide that filing for bankruptcy is the right financial choice for them. Even though it may be a scary or frustrating process, filing for bankruptcy is worth it for many people, and we are here to help. We believe that filing for bankruptcy should make you feel better about your financial situation and not worse. Give us a call today to talk through your options!
If you have decided you’d like to file for bankruptcy, first of all: congratulations! Second, schedule a meeting with your bankruptcy attorney to discuss what the next steps are. You’ll need a few things for your first meeting. Make sure that you print and complete our intake form. Here’s a list of other documents you should bring with you to your first meeting:
- All paystubs or pay advices for you and your spouse for the past 6 months.
- Copies of tax returns for the past 2 years.
- Statements for ALL debts you owe to everyone (house, car, credit cards, medical bills – even if you are keeping them and want to pay them).
- Bank statements for all bank accounts for the past 3 months, retirement/401k statements, stock statements, any other assets.
- Original loan documents for your house and all personal loans.
- Lawsuits, foreclosures, all legal documents.
- Copies of all titles to cars, boats that are paid for, copies of registrations if not paid for.
- Divorce documents, separation agreements, wills.
- A recent profit and loss statement for businesses as well as a year to date statement.
- Transfer documents if you have sold or given anything away (or put it into another person’s name).
- A completed Bankruptcy Questionnaire.
- A completed “before filing” credit counseling course certificate. This can be obtained from Abacus Credit Counseling. Our attorney code is ACC43365
- Your credit report obtained from Annualcreditreport.com.
- A NADA clean retail value printout for every car or boat you own.
- Copies of any leases or contracts.
- A completed Intake Form.
This is a long list – we know! It seems like a lot of paperwork, because it is! By providing this information prior to filing for bankruptcy, you’ll save yourself time in the long run. If you would like your bankruptcy lawyer to help you with the process of completing your paperwork, we can definitely help! Please just let your attorney know. We want your bankruptcy case to go as smoothly as possible, and filling out paperwork accurately could have consequences later on.
For additional information and advice on any of the documents listed above, visit or call any of our Craft Law Offices. We look forward to working with you!